Photos: check out the costumes (& conflict) from the Civil War re-enactment in Half Moon Bay.
Union blue and Confederate grey clashed on the Coastside during this Veterans Day weekend.
A divided American nation clashed this past weekend…in Half Moon Bay?
Yes, the idyllic town on the San Mateo coast made an excellent backdrop for a Civil War re-enactment on this Veterans Day weekend. Close to 100 participants — all dressed in 19th Century regalia — transformed the area around the historic Johnston House (just south of downtown HMB) into an elaborate re-creation of Union and Confederate troops struggling over the fate of the American nation in the 1860s. Equal parts historical geek-out and cosplay meet-up, the two days of time travel were spirited, informative and just a whole lot of fun. (Plus all proceeds benefitted restoration efforts of the 165-year-old Johnston House.)
The Six Fifty sent local photographer Dan Fenstermacher to capture all of the highly photogenic (staged) conflict. Take a look…
Stay up to date with other coverage from The Six Fifty by subscribing to our weekly newsletter, featuring event listings, reviews and articles showcasing the best that the Peninsula has to offer. Sign up here!
Check out more Six Fifty photography:
- Photos: The coolest costumes (and surreal scenes) from Silicon Valley Comic Con — 2019
- Fungus Photography: Mushroom hunting in Northern California (through a macro lens)
- Cowboys and Crow Hoppers: Scenes from the Grand National Rodeo
- These photos of WeirdStuff Warehouse will make you sad the quirky shop is gone for good
- Skinks, snakes and scorpions: Check out the coolest critters we encountered at Reptile Nation
- Peer into the beautiful tide pool wonderland of Fitzgerald Marine Reserve
- Catching the Golden Snitch: Meet Silicon Valley’s star quidditch players